July 28, 2004

Popularity...

Hello all!  

Sorry it has been so long. We have been busy with a myriad of things as well as trying to get used to the fact that Daddy's home!

This morning I was reading the notes on the Democratic convention and I also received a email "letter" that is circulating about President Bush at church.

One of the things I have always appreciated about our president is that while you may not agree with his convictions at least you always know where he stands; and that he stands by them.  With Mr. Kerry I have to wonder. He seems to waffle an awful lot - voting for the war and then voting against funding, saying the suv is not his but the family's, earning medals in war and then thowing them away?

When I was in high school I was not popular. Of course at the time I really wanted to be but my parents had taught me that it was more important to stand up for what you believe, be yourself, and do what was right  than it was to be accepted.  High School was hell for me.  BUT I learned some important things.......

Like most of the popular girls (read :those considered pretty, fast, etc) never really got on with their lives after school - many are still in or around our small home town. Not because they necessarily want to be (I can't wait to get out of Tombstone!) but because they can't seem to move on, to explore the rest of the world.

I still get in trouble, feel unacceptable/like I don't fit in, much of the time. But popularity is highly overrated.  My friend was laughing yesterday as we were talking, "Some of the things you say......."              I was a bit hurt as well as confused.......But what I said was true!?.   I know that I am often to quick to defend myself (again a product of high school) and I am working on that.

All of this is to say that being popular and making everyone like you is not the way to lead a country, family or group.   It takes gumption, conviction and a willingness to do what's right and not necessarily what's popular.

I hope the American public will see that in the coming election and not let the loud voices of a few mask the truth.   I worry about this country we love and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)