July 5, 2010

The Sweetening Dark....


This is a phrase from my current read - The Postmistress by Sarah Blake - that I absolutely  love!

... the sweetening dark.... talking about that time of day when dusk is falling, the light is mellow, crickets sing, fireflies begin to come out and the breeze is soft and sweet upon your cheek! For me it brings to mind memories of summer nights in Arkansas running barefoot through the grass playing tag or with a jar ready for lightning bugs to make a nightlight;Family on the porch swing, the smell of Prince Albert tobacco, soft talking, laughter and a whippoorwills call...

What a marvelous gift God has given us in language and it's ability to evoke images and memories for us .... perhaps that's why He is a man of the book as well?


ps... lightning bugs don't live in AZ so they've always been magical to me and I LOVE that they live in KS! (Even if they are ugly little suckers in the light of day but I guess that's another post...)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)