December 31, 2008

Actions have consequences...


All actions...even seemingly insignificant ones!

Something I'm still trying to teach my children, that we have apparently forgotten as a nation (descent into anarchy anyone?!) and that I don't always like either...

Today this was the verse on a card that I have :

As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field
the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.
But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--
with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.
Psalm 103:16-18


Encouraging yet challenging at the same time! To know that we, that I, have influence on generations yet to come.

Yet I have seen this borne out in my own life - my Grandparents and their parents before them were Christians, giving me and my children a Godly heritage. Now, don't think I'm talking about perfection here rather the bedrock principles. And yet...

even in my extended family I see where my relatives are falling away, not necessarily entirely mind you, just little ways or believing lies and living as though they are truth. I don't want anyone to feel judged or labeled or condemned by me of all people, yet you can literally see the consequences in the families that have chosen not to hold firm, to let God and the worship of Him become something mundane or secondary. How in one generation, just as in Israel, we can walk away from the Lord, with or without meaning to.

Again a challenge to consider -- how am I influencing my children, for my grand children and even further generations for God?

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great challenge.

I can honestly say that this is something I think of daily.....at least when the little legacy quote pops up on my blog. ::snort::

Seriously, I do pray about this nearly every day. I want to be AWARE of how my choices now will affect the lives of my grandchildren and my community. I want so much to leave a legacy of a whole hearted, extravagant lover of Jesus.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)