January 3, 2009

Let Us highly Resolve...

Let us Highly Resolve…

Resolutions are a familiar theme this time of year aren’t they? To lose weight, exercise more, spend more wisely, pray together more, the list is endless…. And while setting goals is a good thing and we certainly need to care for our bodies (God’s temple) and our resources well; there is something more. What does Resolve or Resolution mean?
Firmness of mind, determination, to be determined in mind…
To fix or settle, by a deliberate choice and will…
Constant in pursuit a purpose …..
Steadfast, bold….
Implies courage….
Courage, intestinal fortitude, and grit are no longer traits highly praised in our society., yet they are Biblical (ex: Dan 1:8;Isa 50:7; James 1; 2Th 1:4; 2Peter 1:6 to name a few). As we look to the coming year questions abound, where will we choose to find constancy? A quote from Gene Stratton – Porter sums up the ideas of resolution well:
“ When I think of the life that we are leading, of the uses to which we have put the bounty provided for us by the Almighty, when I think of the greed and lust and the selfishness that is crowding everything that is high and holy and delicate, that is kind and loving and considerate of our fellow men, from our hearts, I wish that I might attain to some high peak from which my voice could reach to the ends of the earth, and there I might cry our to the men and women of my day and generation, to the men and women of whom we are the mothers and fathers and to the children that our children are rearing, I wish that I might cry out: LET US HIGHTLY RESOLVE that we will do everything that our day and location permits actually to put into practice the teachings of Jesus Christ”.

Oh that this would be that year!

3 comments:

Nicolle said...

Amen to that! I like the breakdown of to resolve. Very encouraging and right where I am.

Nicolle said...

Hey Lady! I need to hear from you! I am looking for redemption stories. Where is yours? I was hoping to hear from you on my blog. I enjoy your comments it keeps us close. :)

Blu Grey said...

Great post!!!

FYI... You can get a deployment countdown ticker at http://www.tickercentral.com/

I really enjoy your blog Holly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)