April 21, 2011

Painted counters...

Ok, so I was so tired of my counter tops .... plain boring pale beige, stained and chipped, knife marked. We've been looking at different treatments - Rust OLeum paint, The Faux Granite kits, etc.... all are cool but $$ or just not what I was thinking.....here's a "before" photo of my counters....

            Not hideous but just not what I wanted to keep ....

  Then I found this tutorial at Creative Kristi ... for how to paint your counters to look like granite! Yes you heard me right paint.....after watching the tutorial and seeing how lovely her counters were I decided to give it a shot! I love the look of granite but it's so $$ ... choose a "sample" or photo you like of a particular overall color, I knew I wanted black because I want to paint the kitchen white ... but you could do any color...

         My partners in crime....

Polycrylic sealer, Anita's Glossy Craft Paint (Glossy Black), Anita's Metallic Craft Paint (silver), DecoArt Crafter's Acrylic (navy Blue), FolkArt Acrylic paint (Mettallic Gunmetal Grey), Anita's Acrylic Craft paint (Charcoal)..... 1" brush (she doesn't use but I liked it for getting right along the edges), Cardboard, glove. Not pictured: paper towels, tak cloth, 60 and 220 grit sandpaper, Kilz2 primer, 3" brush for primer, ziploc bags for storing brushes between coats.

 These views are after a few coats -- primer, black, grey, black, metallic grey, silver and some blue have been daubed on. (If you are ever tempted to have your sink in the corner DON'T  it's such a pain to reach that corner to clean! -- this is also why the board across the sink, so I could paint that corner without sitting in the sink, yes I had to take it up and down but easier than the alternative!) ..... There will be a point in this project where you think .... what the heck was I thinking?! Keep going ... there will also be a point where you think ... I like THIS! and it will all of a sudden look like granite/marble.... STOP lol!  Definitely take the time to scuff sand and prime the counters, wipe with the tak cloth..... you may also be tempted to just do all one color and then the next  -- DO NOT DO THIS you will wind up with funky looking cabinets, (no I didn't just saying), the layers of daubing are what create the marble like finish as each layer when dry creates a type of resist for the next layer, especially the metallic paint which I wasn't sure about at first but I think worked well in the end! I also used the brush along the edges, and know that it will look different/brighter your contrast colors will show up more after the first coat of acrylic sealer. Once it looks the way you think you want, leave it and walk away for a bit come back and see if you think it needs more of any one color (particularly the overall one, in this case black) .... if not put on your first coat of sealer. If after that you think it's not right, don't panic you can fill in on top of the sealer and continue sealing after that! Yes I did do this....


and eventually ... you get.......

"Granite" Countertops for less than $70.00!! ta da.....




They're not quite done still need a couple coats of sealant but you get the idea...... :) I love it and it looks even better in person(my friend was totally fooled --- yes!).Just takes time but really it's not hard at all, now to paint those cabinets white and change the hardware........

Thanks Kristi!!...... Let me know what you think!

ps... the fridge is actually a past paint project as well... we used RustOLeum's stainless paint to paint our existing fridge (I should probably clear coat it) and it came out nice but warning it reeks to high heaven, seriously we spent the night in a hotel because everyone was getting headaches!! ;)

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Holly! I love it!! YAY!! Thanks for linking back to me and for coming over to share your link on my blog! I have been tempted to put the sink in the corner in the house we will be building soon but now I know that will be a pain in the butt LOL
Thanks again for sharing and go YOU-they look awesome!!!
-Kristi
at Creative Kristi

timsarmywifey said...

Oh thanks Kristi ... yes when we moved in I thought the corner sink was kinda nifty, now I HATE the sucker! LOL you can't reach that corner to clean, hard to reach the windows and you can't reach all the way back underneath unless you crawl halfway under it -- at least my cabinet because it's not a lazy susan type one.... Thanks!!! :)

vli1127 said...

Thanks for showing your makeover. I used Rustoleum laminate paint before going away for 4 days and my house still reaks of the smell. My windows are open and fans are running. Thank goodness the cats didn't die!!

Jen said...

I love the black granite look. So happy to see an example. How is it holding up after a few year? I like the idea of sealing with poly -acrylic over Environtex since that looks to be a two person job and I'll be doing ours alone.
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)