December 20, 2012

The great Kitchen Redo ....


So when we moved in our kitchen basically looked like this, wood cabinets and laminate counter-tops ... nothing horrible and perfectly serviceable just somewhat dark and dated:

 









In these pictures I had painted the counter-tops to look like granite and in prep for painting the kitchen white (click on the word painted to link to that post), also I removed the upper cabinet doors pretty quickly to give the look of open shelving ....



and here's my kitchen today:








                     
            yes it's brighter and more homey to me! Our daughter's boyfriend said it really made it look like our kitchen had a facelift! I agree .... we painted all the wood white (which was a pain but worth it, no I did NOT sand them all sorry we used primer and paint), added beadboard look wallpaper andd new hardware in stainless and I painted the walls Macadamia by Martha Stewart. Plus redid my painted counter-tops  with Rust-o-leum's cabinet transformation kit in Black granite .... the laundry area got a lift too with Hawthorne Yellow Paint (Benjamin Moore), white shelves, a couple framed quotes and matching bins! ....I have also gotten lots of comments/compliments on the basement door -- I had seen pantry door ideas on Pinterest using an old door to contrast but didn't want anything with glass or a screen even though I love those since we do live in KS and have used the basement for tornado shelter ... basically I just painted it white then black and sanded to my hearts content and voila it looks like a whole new door! :)

What do you think? :)   (btw it I didn't keep exact track but I would say this was only around $500.00 total or LESS by the time you add paint, beadboard wallpaper, new hardware and the shelves -- not including the new fridge when ours died)

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I love the redo...and I'm struggling not to envy the size of your kitchen. LOL

Susan Evans said...

What an absolutely beautiful kitchen redo! My own kitchen is really dark, and I think white cabinets would help brighten it up.

Jen said...

I'm wanting to paint my countertops and loved how yours turned out, but I just read that you repainted them with the Rustoleum kit. Was it because they weren't holding up or did they start to look bad? Would you now recommend the kit over painting/polying them?
Thanks

timsarmywifey said...

I just thought that they weren't holding up quite as well as I had hoped and I wanted a more uniform look since we were putting the house on the market. The kit worked great but was a MESS for sure!

I'm so sorry but I just now saw your question/post! Haven't been keeping up as well as I should and I also haven't been getting notifications.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)